True North PSO
True North Patient Safety Organization, Inc. was federally listed in 2018 as a component organization of Northwell Health. It provides participants the opportunity to enhance their current quality improvement and patient safety processes, with the greatest assurance that the information generated will remain confidential. True North PSO’s goal is to be recognized as a gold standard for patient safety within national health systems.
What is a patient safety organization?
The federal Patient Safety and Quality Improvement Act of 2005 allowed for the creation of PSOs to help address a critical barrier to quality and patient safety improvement: the protected sharing of confidential quality information across healthcare organizations and outside of hospitals.
PSOs provide broader protections than existing many peer review standards or state laws, allowing provider quality and safety information to be confidentially shared across sites and organizations.
PSOs are designed to:
- Promote shared learning;
- Enhance quality of care; and
- Improve patient safety by granting privilege and confidentiality protections to information submitted by participating providers into the PSO.
For more information on PSOs, please see materials made available by the U.S. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality at: https://www.pso.ahrq.gov/.
True North PSO Members
- Digestive Health of Huntington
- Endo Group (Syosset and Garden City SurgiCenters)
- Endoscopy Center of Long Island (ECLI)
- Maimonides Medical Center
- Melville Surgery Center
- Northwell Health